December 1 marked a milestone for our campus and community: the most successful Giving Tuesday in the history of Carleton University. In less than 24 hours our students, staff, faculty, alumni and partners came together to raise $1,194,651—which, together with $1M in matching funds, makes a record-breaking $2.19M available for great projects for our students. This is up from last year’s total of $1.025 million (before match), and marks incredible growth since our first year of participation in 2013.
As always, giving started literally at midnight, and lasted the full 24 hours. Funds raised went towards campus initiatives that tackle some of 2020’s most important causes: accessibility, equity, diversity and inclusion, mental health and wellness, COVID-19 response, athletics, and many more.
Here are some more highlights from Giving Tuesday 2020:
- 19 donations were made at exactly 12:00:00 on Giving Tuesday
- Over $22,000 was raised by 12:03 a.m., and over $100,000 was raised before 12:30 a.m.
- Carleton University was trending nationally on Twitter the morning of Giving Tuesday
- Before noon, our generous community raised more than we did on Giving Tuesday in 2019
- 55 FutureFunder projects and hundreds of Giving Funds were supported and championed by faculty, staff, students and partners of Carleton
As all the gifts are processed, we’ll learn more about Giving Tuesday, who participated, and the impact of this incredible effort. Stay tuned for more highlights in the coming weeks.
Giving Tuesday is always a great day for Carleton—it’s become a campus tradition and a great celebration of Carleton pride. For donors, it goes even further. Their support for Carleton—at any time of year—helps empower the ideas and people that address challenges in our society, not just on campus. By enhancing research, teaching and learning initiatives, campus services and support, financial aid and experiential learning opportunities, our donors help make a difference in our community.
To everyone who participated, THANK YOU for coming together to do good through higher education.
GIVING TUESDAY CHALLENGES:
Thank you to everyone who participated in our Giving Tuesday Challenges!
- INSPIRE OTHERS TO DO GOOD: Supporting meaningful causes through FutureFunder reinforces our social commitment to spark positive change in our communities. Tell us about a cause that is important to you, and post it on your Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #TogetherforGood from November 23-December 1. You will be entered to win one of 8 prizes of $500 towards the FutureFunder initiative of your choice. Winners were announced throughout the day on Giving Tuesday on Twitter (@theFutureFunder) and Instagram (@FutureFunder).
- FIRST GIFT AT MIDNIGHT AND FIRST GIFT AT NOON WINS AN EXTRA $ 1000: The perfect excuse to stay up to the wee hours indulging in some binge-worthy Netflix (or set an alarm for us early risers)! Get your fingers ready to be the first one at midnight or the first one at noon to process your donation! The first donation* received after midnight and after noon (12 pm) will get an additional $ 1000 in funding for the campaign/fund that received the donation! A minimum donation of $10.00 is required. The first gift at midnight was made towards the Chicken & Boots Bursary, and the first gift at noon was made towards Hearts of Freedom. The donors have been contacted directly-thank you to everyone who participated!
- GIFT FROM THE FURTHEST DISTANCE TO CARLETON UNIVERSITY WINS $ 1000: It’s time to round up your colleagues, friends, and family around the world! The project or giving fund with the donation coming from the furthest distance to Carleton University will win additional funding for the FutureFunder campaign/giving fund that they donated to. Winner will be announced on Thursday, December 10. The winning donation was made from Singapore in support of the Sociology and Anthropology Award for Black, Indigenous and Racialized Students. The donor was contacted directly.
- DONATIONS FROM CARLETON ALUMNI: Now is the time to show your spirit as a proud Carleton Raven! All donations from Carleton alumni will be entered into a draw to win additional matching funds for the FutureFunder project that you supported! We will be giving away a first place prize of $ 500, second place of $ 250 and third place of $ 100. Winners will be announced on Thursday, December 10. The first place prize went to the J-Source Journalism Project, second place went to the Sociology and Anthropology Award for Black, Indigenous and Racialized Students, and the third place prize went to the Women’s Basketball Excellence Fund. All winning donors have been contacted directly.
- DONATIONS FROM ALUMNI WHO GRADUATED WITHIN THE LAST 5 YEARS: You can stay connected to Carleton University by supporting an initiative that was important to you as a student! All alumni donors who graduated within the last 5 years will be entered into a draw to win $500 in additional matching funds for the FutureFunder project that you supported! Winner will be announced on Thursday, December 10. The winning prize went to the Clark S. Bolliger Scholarship, and the donor has been contacted directly.
- DONATIONS FROM CARLETON FACULTY, STAFF AND RETIREES: Carleton faculty, staff and retirees are an integral part of our campus community, and we want to thank you for supporting impactful initiatives! All donations from Carleton faculty, staff and retirees will be entered into a draw to win additional matching funds for the FutureFunder project that you supported! We will be giving away a first place prize of $ 500, second place of $ 250 and third place of $ 100. Winners will be announced on Thursday, December 10. The first place prize went to the Social Work Award for Black, Indigenous and Racialized Students, second place went to the Student Aid Fund, and the third place prize went to the Max and Tessie Zelikovitz Centre for Jewish Studies Fund. All winning donors have been contacted directly.